In this fast-evolving world of software development, where technology is taking a new turn every day, automation proves to be a significant way of normalizing things. For every product development, automation testing acts as the assurance of a quality product at speed. Moreover, with agile development and DevOps methodologies in the picture, organizations are taking a massive leap towards CI/CD pipeline to improve product deliveries to the market.
Test automation is the sole essence of these aspects, as it reduces testing times, tracks bugs quickly, improves delivery cycles, and focuses on other areas of your product. Another added advantage of test automation is that it doesn’t require human intervention and save a tremendous amount of time. The prime purpose of automation testing is to shorten testing times and offer better test coverage of a product.
However, automation testing is not feasible without a QA automation testing tool, which is required to generate and execute test scripts. Although thousands of testing tools are available in the market, choosing one that fits your requirements is quite challenging. Selecting the right automation tool is essential to deliver a quality product at speed.
This article talks about the top 10 QA automation testing tools you should opt for in 2021 to quickly maximize your test coverage and deliver products to the market.
Selenium always tops the list of best QA automation testing tools; it is considered as the industry standard for UI automation testing of web applications. It is an open-source test automation tool that allows you to execute test cases in multiple browsers and operating systems.
Furthermore, it’s not just a single utility; it consists of five major utilities, including Selenium IDE, Selenium WebDriver, Client API, Selenium RC, and Selenium Grid. Each of these tools focuses on a specific development function to offer a complete web application test automation.
- One of the best automation testing tools for web applications
- Compatible across a wide variety of browsers, operating systems, and devices
- Features detailed and advanced automation scripts with easy integration
- Supports multiple programming languages, including Java, Groovy, C#, PHP, Ruby, and Perl
- Ideal for regression testing of web apps to avoid rewriting test scripts
- Offers the playback features to record and playback regression tests
Selenium is free to use without involving any maintenance costs or hidden charges.
Automation Testing Complete
TestComplete again made its name to the top ten list of automation testing tools. It is amongst one of the powerful and feature-packed automation testing tools for web, mobile, and desktop application testing. It is integrated with an object recognition engine that allows you to detect dynamic user interface elements quickly. However, it is primarily used for testing applications that have vibrant and frequently changing user interfaces.
- Supports various testing techniques like keyword-driven testing, data-driven testing, regression testing, and distributed testing
- Comes with record and playback facility to build and run functional UI tests
- Allows you to create complex automated test scripts without writing a single line of code
- It offers an easy-to-use interface for a quick understanding of the functions
Test Complete is produced by SmartBear, and it can be integrated with other products of SmartBear easily.
LambdaTest has become quite popular in the last few years by offering extensive features and easy UI automation testing. It is a cloud-based automation testing tool for desktop and mobile applications that allows you to test every functionality. Besides, it offers both manual and automated cross-browser testing across a wide variety of browsers, operating systems, and devices. It is ideal for both manual and automated testing as per specifications.
- A secure, scalable, and reliable online Selenium Grid that provides easy automation testing
- Support more than 2000 browsers, operating systems, and devices to execute cross browser testing
- Integrated with Cypress testing, which is recently configured to improve end-to-end testing
- It comes with integrated developer tools that help in debugging issues in live, real-time testing
- Supports local hosted web testing to save your website from deployment bugs
- Easy integration with collaborative tools like JIRA, Bitbucket, GitHub, Slack, etc.
LambdaTest is available at a very reasonable price compared to other tools, and as it’s a cloud-based Selenium Grid, it’s worth every testing scenario.
Automation Testing Appium
- Based on a client-server architecture that enables code reuse and cross-platform testing
- It comes with a recording feature that allows you to record gestures as code
- Easy to set up and use without much hassle while using vendor-provided automation frameworks
- It doesn’t require SDK or recompiling of the app to test native applications
Appium is an open-source QA test automation tool that doesn’t require any hidden costs or charges.
Automation Testing Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a comprehensive and all-in-one QA automation testing tool that offers mobile and web app testing environments. It works on the top of Selenium while simplifying the API web and mobile automation tests. It is a free-licensed, cross-browser testing tool that supports multiple browsers, OS, and web interfaces. Katalon Studio is integrated with rich features that make it easy to perform automation testing.
- Leverage Appium and Selenium engine to provide a uniquely integrated environment for testers
- Supports both SOAP and Restful for API and services testing with hundreds of built-in keywords for creating test cases
- Provides dual scripting interfaces to enable users with no coding skills to use a simple interface
- Supports parallel executions while allowing you to perform remote and local testing
- Upgraded with major enhancements like Eclipse IDE framework with modern look and feel
Katalon Studio is quite expensive as compared to many testing tools because it leverages two testing engines.
- Supports multiple testing techniques like data-driven testing, keyword-driven testing, regression testing, and distributed testing
- It comes with record and replays capabilities that enable building and running functional UI tests
- Offers easy integration with other products provided by SmartBear
- Leverages improved AI-based algorithms to replaces objects with the image
- Creates complex automated test scripts without writing a single line of code
TestComplete is a SmartBear product, so it is pretty helpful for the individuals who use SmartBear products.
Ranorex is a practical test automation tool that provides a set of features for web, mobile, and API testing. It offers advanced capabilities for UI element identification, editing, and management while allowing you to leverage its experience in desktop-based test automation. It provides an intuitive and easy-to-use GUI with record/playback functionality and script generation for making test automation easier.
- Easy integration with Selenium Grid to enable distributed testing along with parallel test execution
- Comes with enhanced JIRA and TestRail reporting with increased support for Delphi TAdvStringGrid
- Codeless test creation, recording and replaying testing phases, and reusable test scripts
- Quick integration with tools like GIT, TestRail, Jenkins, and Bamboo
- It offers a shareable object repository to save yourself a lot of time
Ranorex Studio is a comprehensive utility that offers multiple features over other tools in the market, and it is available at competitive pricing plans.
Automation Testing UFT One
Ideally known as UFT, this is a popular QA tool used for testing web, desktop, mobile, and RPA applications. It offers multiple capabilities for API, web app testing, and end-to-end testing. It even allows you to test the AUT that operates on desktop, web, and mobile.
- Offers advanced capabilities for smart object detection, image=based object detection, and correction
- Easily streamline the testing process while improving test efficiencies and sustaining quality
- Allow you to create a more platform-agnostic test with objective steps in AI transformation assistant
- Tracking and reporting facilities with WiFi state, thermal state along with the record and run settings
UFT One is quite expensive when it comes to subscription plans. It is usually recommended for complex test cases and applications.
IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
IBM RFT is ideally designed for testing applications developed with multiple languages and technologies, such as Web, .Net, Java, Siebel, SAP, Dojo Toolkit, and Adobe Flex. It is specifically designed for such applications only. However, it also provides data-driven testing for functional and regression testing, making it ideal for web app testing. It is integrated with quite exciting features that can help you in every testing project.
- Offers advanced ScriptAssure technology to create error-free scripts
- Provides visual testing via a graphic, storyboard format for representing test actions that enable users to lodge frequent user interface changes
- Quick and easy error detection in test scripts for hassle-free testing
- Allows you to select between either Java or Visual Basic.Net languages as per requirements
- Easy integration with other software to support collaborative application lifecycle management
One of the drawbacks of IBM RFT is its availability. It is a commercial tool and only available for clients basis on contact sales and required functionalities.
Apache JMeter is an open-source QA tool developed for load and performance testing of web and mobile app testing. However, it can also be used for API and services testing. The recent update has been stacked with various changes like application-modal splash screen, LogKit logger partial removes, bug fixes, and JMeter implements for functional testing.
- It is a lightweight tool with a simple and easy-to-use user interface
- Replay test results quite easily with record and playback functionality
- Set value for API parameters with CSV files to make your test scripts more efficient and practical
- Quick execution of test cases with a simple and intuitive UI throughout the process
- Quick integration with CI tools like Jenkins to improve your CI/CD pipeline and DevOps toolchains
JMeter is an open-source QA testing tool that can be used by any tester or QA professional in their testing cycles. It doesn’t include any hidden charges or maintenance costs as well.
Automation Testing Final Words
A reliable and functional test automation tool is the initial requirement for automation testing. Without any QA tool, you won’t be able to perform automation testing efficiently. Thus, it’s necessary to choose a tool that fulfills all your requirements. This article talked about the top 10 QA test automation tools that you can utilize in 2021.